Looking back on the year that was 2014, Experience Oz; one of the most respectable and authoritative websites as far as Gold Coast attractions are concerned (or anywhere in Australian or New Zealand for that matter) recently conducted a survey to find Australia’s Top 10 Australian destinations to experience.
The Gold Coast received fantastic recognition coming in at number 4 on the list. This is a huge honour for the Gold Coast.
Thelist was constructed from a survey of around 2,000 Australians from all around the country. Of course, it is awesome when you hear foreign tourists showing their love for our neck of the woods, but it still feels incredibly sentimental when it’s fellow Australians casting their vote. Those who participated in the survey had to follow stringent criteria; this included:
- Does it show Aussie nature?
- Does it offer unique architectural or geographical locations?
- Is it beautiful?
- Are there certain activities here that can’t be done in other parts of the country?
- Does it offer great nightlife, shopping and/or dining experience?
Based on these requirements, it was concluded that Australia’s Top 10 Australian destinations to experience are:
1. Rottnest Island, Western Australia
2. Whitsundays, Queensland
3. Margaret River, Western Australia
4. Gold Coast, Queensland
5. Uluru/Ayers Rock, Northern Territory
6. Cairns, Queensland
7. Sunshine Coast, Queensland
8. Barossa Valley, Southern Australia
9. Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia
10. Kangaroo Island, Southern Australia
Those who almost made the cut were Melbourne, Victoria; Kakadu, Northern Territory; and Blue Mountains, New South Wales.
There’s two very interesting points you can observe from the list. First, other than Melbourne, there is no other major city such as Sydney that made the list. Second, most of the destinations in the top 10 are near or within a beach. Experience Oz had possible explanations for these observations, including the probability that most of those who participated in the survey already lived in the city.
But Why Gold Coast?
Statistics show that more people are indeed visiting Gold Coast, including Surfers Paradise. It is because our beautiful destination gives you plenty of reasons to love it!
(Surfers Paradise night markets)
Fine weather— The Gold Coast has amazing weather and a climate characterized by mild winter and humid summers. In fact, it has one of the best climates during winter because there isn’t a lot of rain. Regardless, it is usually sunshine for most times of the year, giving you a perfect excuse to explore the beach or the hinterland at any time.
Beaches—Aussies love the beach and although there are so many beaches to choose from around the country, the Gold Coast still remains one of the best options. We have a beautiful long coastline that spans more than 65 kilometres and because we have several beaches to choose from, you can always find a beach without a crowd.
Exploration—you have plenty of choices on how to explore Gold Coast. You can ride a duck tour in Surfers Paradise or be on board a cruise. For about 5 minutes, you can take a scenic tour around the area while riding a helicopter. In the hinterland, where dense rainforests are aplenty, you can drive a 4WD.
Attractions—Beaches are not the only Gold Coast attractions. We highly recommend the following places:
- Infinity Attraction (Of course we had to include our attraction!)
- Tamborine Rainforest & Skywalk
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
- Tallebudgera Creek
- Pimpama and Ormeau War Memorial
- Warner Brothers Movie World
- Hinze Dam
- Regional Botanic Garden
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not
If you haven’t noticed, most Gold Coast attractions and sights are suited for people of all ages—yes, including children as young as 3 years old. This then makes the Gold Coast ideal not only for adventure seekers but for families as well.
As to experiences, I would suggest you include the following in your itinerary:
- Visit the Surfers Paradise night markets along Surfers Paradise Esplanade
- Go whale watching
- Learn how to surf in any of the many surfing schools, especially in Surfers Paradise
- Try you luck at Jupiters Hotel and Casino
- Enjoy fresh seafood or Aussie staples including succulent steaks complemented with home-grown wines at one of the many fine restaurants around the Gold Coast
As a Gold Coaster, I’m not surprised that our beautiful region made the list. It’s simply one of the most beautiful places in the country or even the entire world and it always never fails to surprise people especially when it comes to what I can offer in terms of Gold Coast attractions and experiences. For one that offers true value for money, don’t forget to visit Infinity Attraction on your next Gold Coast holiday.